It is essential to obtain the consent of the person you want to refer to Foundation House prior to making a referral.
Inform the person you wish to refer that:
- Foundation House services are free
- Foundation House services are confidential
- Foundation House will arrange an interpreter if needed (and the client can specify their preference for on-site or telephone interpreter and the interpreter’s gender)
- They don’t have to accept the referral and they can change their mind at any time if they decide they don’t want the service
- They don’t have to talk about anything they don’t want to talk about
- If they don’t want the service now, a referral can be made later at any time (including self-referral)
If necessary, ensure you use a professional interpreter to seek consent.