12 September 2019
This one day workshop provides an introduction into working with people from refugee and asylum seeker backgrounds. Participants will gain knowledge of the context and experiences of people from these backgrounds, and explore ways of working together. The workshop will also explore establishing positive working relationships and maintaining worker resilience in a challenging environment.
- An overview of some experiences of people who have fled wars and oppressive regimes;
- An outline of Australia’s humanitarian program within a global context;
- The Foundation House framework for recovery and how this applies in the workplace;
- The psychosocial effects of traumatic experiences on individuals, families and communities – includes the impact of detention and prolonged uncertainty in seeking asylum;
- A reflection on how we understand ‘culture’; and
- Reflections on the impact of working with trauma, professional boundaries, and locating ourselves in the work.